Providing homes, improving lives, strengthening communities
Northern Rivers Housing is a well-respected not-for-profit organisation that manages quality, long term and affordable housing. As a Tier One Community Housing Provider (CHP), we are fair, transparent and responsive in delivering assistance to our tenants, residents and all other clients.
Our vision is to be a leading provider of innovative housing services.
We support local communities in the north coast region of NSW ranging from Tweed Heads to Clarence Valley. Our support covers social housing, affordable housing, temporary housing, disaster response, and property management. Currently we manage over 900 properties and 1,700 tenancies under a variety of housing programs.
We work to provide housing and assistance to people with low to moderate incomes, and to groups including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- People with intellectual and physical disabilities
- People with mental illnesses
- People in recovery
- People escaping domestic violence
- Young people
We operate offices in Lismore, Tweed Heads and Grafton, encompassing the land of Bundjalung, Arakwal, Gumbaynggirr and Yaegl peoples who are the traditional custodians of the land comprising the Northern Rivers. We receive the majority of our funding through tenant rents with supplementary funding from the NSW Department of Communities and Justice, to deliver these programs.
Our operations first began in 1984 and in 1997 we united with Clarence Valley Community Tenancy Schemes as part of the NSW Community Housing Growth Strategy.
Our Corporate Values
Northern Rivers Housing has a set of corporate values that guide the behaviours of all our employees in delivering services and programs to our community.
- Respect – We are a people-centred organisation, respecting the diversity and different needs of the individuals we work with.
- Social Responsibility – We support people with housing needs, striving for equality and fairness in housing outcomes.
- Professionalism – We work with integrity to provide quality, innovative services and are accountable for our decisions and actions.
- Safety and Wellbeing – We are committed to a work environment that values health, safety, and wellbeing.
Governance and Assurance
Northern Rivers Housing is a Tier 1 registered provider within the National Regulatory System for Community Housing (NRSCH). In complying with Schedule 1 of the National Regulatory Code – Tenant and Housing Services we ensure a well governed, well managed and viable community housing sector that meets the housing needs of tenants and provides assurance for government, partners and investors. We are fair, transparent and responsive in delivering housing assistance to tenants, residents and other clients, in relation to:
- Determining and managing eligibility, allocation and termination of housing assistance
- Determining and managing rents
- Setting and meeting relevant housing service standards
- Supporting tenant and resident engagement
- Facilitating access to support for social housing applicants and tenants with complex needs
- Managing and addressing complaints and appeals and maintaining satisfaction with the overall quality of housing services.
Our operations are overseen by a Board of Directors and our Executive Team has a wealth of knowledge and experience. We also operate in line with a variety of policy documents, which are publicly available.